Our client, a worldwide leader in the automation market, who manufacture bespoke special purpose machinery, are recruiting for a Mechanical Design Engineer due to expansion.
- To design special purpose machinery and automated cells using 2D and 3D CAD.
- Take responsibility for conceptualising automated solutions based around customer specification.
- Create detailed component and assembly drawings.
- Producing Bill of Materials.
- Working alongside Project deadlines.
- Suggesting continuous improvements and cost reduction strategies.
- Playing a proactive part and working closely with other members of the team on Design Projects.
- Must have the ability to be able to create a machine manual including knowledge of word to create a detailed explanation of how the machine works using example manuals as a basis.
- Liaise with the sales department and customers in the preparation of quotations.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and able to work to tight deadlines.
- To be able to communicate with customers, this could also involve travelling worldwide and Europe.
- To evaluate and develop suppliers and supply chains as well as purchase on parts from Local and Non-Local suppliers.
- Working closely with the project manager and General shop floor managers maintaining delivery targets set by the customer.
- Demonstrate Lessons learnt are being followed up to maintain that we improve the design of our machines.
- Work to ensure understanding of costs, timing and risk ensuring agreements with Customer are met. At all times be aware of the project status including timing and scope changes.
- Report back to the Project Manager on project timing / issues or completion to feedback project final costing for analysis.
- Support our R&D department for tooling requirements depending upon which customer we are supporting.
- Must be able to work on more than one project at one time due to a number of machines being built at the same time.
Qualifications and Experience
- Expert use of Solidworks and Autocad.
- Ideally HND qualified or above in a Mechanical or Design orientated subject.
- A good knowledge of machining, GT&D, fabrications and welding.
- Experience with Robotics preferred but not essential.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- £40,000 per annum