Job Type: Permanent
Location: South Birmingham, West Midlands
Salary: £DOE plus Private Medical, Bonus up to 10%, Free Lunch (Mon-Fri)
Industry: Electrified Powertrain & Automotive
Wentworth James Group has engaged with a World leading Automotive OEM & an Electrified Powertrain R&D specialist based in Birmingham, West Midlands. Employment of 10,000 globally with exciting future plans opening up in new markets. We are seeking a Senior / Principal Engineer within the Vehicle Supervisory Management Software team on a permanent basis to join a fantastic team.
About the Role
As the Senior or Principal Engineer in the Vehicle Supervisory Management Software team, a major and integral part of your role will be ensuring the successful delivery of our Powertrain & Vehicle control software, covering both platform and applications for different Powertrain Architectures (DHT, REEV, BEV). You will also support designing new control system strategies with smart technologies in topics like Thermal Management, 4WD Torque Split Strategy, Energy Management, Predictive Features etc and leading the team to deliver software based on those. This role will require you to work with the wider cross-functional teams to develop a good understanding of various powertrain technologies and, to communicate clearly with non-software domain engineers.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, maths or physics.
• At least 5 years of experience developing and implementing software for Powertrain & Vehicle Supervisory Controllers.
• Knowledge on topics like Torque Management, Traction Management & Thermal Management.
• Curious and Perpetual Learning mindset to be able to apply cutting edge technologies like AI/ML to influence Supervisory Management Control Strategies.
• An individual with a Customer Focussed Mindset who can translate complex technical solutions into real world customer benefits.
• An individual who is resilient, energetic and enthusiastic, responding constructively to new ideas and changing environments.
• Experience in designing Safety Functions for Powertrain Supervisory Controllers with particular focus and expertise on topics like Torque Management, Traction Management & Thermal Management.
• Expert understanding of model-based software development with MATLAB / Simulink.
• Good working knowledge of software development processes, workflows, and standards e.g., Auto SPICE.
• Good working knowledge of software version control tools e.g., Git / Subversion / Perforce.
• Experience of designing and applying formal software architectures.
• Capable of delivering high-level technical presentations to senior management.
• Ability to prioritise multiple work streams in a dynamic and changing environment.
• Practical knowledge of V-cycle and Agile development methodologies.
• Experience in delivering mass-production automotive embedded software projects.
• Experience in software for safety critical systems.
• Experience in DevOps tool chain and implementation.
• Experience of software testing and quality metrics (coverage analysis, complexity analysis).
• Experience with automotive communication protocols e.g. CAN / CAN FD / UDS.
• Knowledge of machine learning and big data algorithms and implementations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Prepare Technical Roadmap & Lead New Function Development
Prepare technical roadmap for the subject area . Develop and design new functions.
Support SW Architect with ideas and designs to help support move to centralised E/E architectures.
Review and approve work products created by the team.
Ensure architectural integrity of software solutions and act as the technical authority for supervisory controller functions.
Provide ongoing assessment of software design processes and optimise changes as needed.
Contribute to Advanced Research
Support advanced SW development including machine learning and big data features.
Support development and validation of advanced energy management algorithms, Thermal management Strategy and 4WD Torque Split Strategy.
Support software platform architectures design and optimisation.
Supply software to support the developments of smart and zero-carbon powertrain components.
Support and Lead Benchmarking exercises to understand competition.
Collaborate Across Departments
Collaborate with Calibration & Vehicle Integration Team to deliver fully calibrated functions to vehicles.
Collaborate with Simulation teams and develop strategies to improve electrical and thermal efficiencies of vehicles.
Collaborate with HQ teams and coach engineers to define the customer value of technical solutions.
Interface and collaborate with software team lead and colleagues based in China HQ.